12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Cube - Rexburg, ID Cyclocross Race #1

This was the first race in the inagural The Cube Cyclocross race series in Rexburg, Idaho, and after seeing the race flyer on the front door of Peaked Sports, the local bike/ski/outdoor gear store in Driggs earlier in the week, the idea of doing a cyclocross race tumbled around in my mind until I finally decided to do it at the end of the week. Yes! Here comes cyclocross! My only concern was whether anyone would turn out for the event seeing as this was the first race of the first race series in an area where bike racing in general probably isn't a very publicly represented sport. I grew up racing in Portland, OR, one of the hotbeds of cyclocross, and where the Cross Crusade series has now grown into a major multi-weekend event capable of drawing 1,000+ competitors. I knew the Rexburg series wouldn't be anything like that, but I hoped for a group of at least maybe ten or so riders who weren't all completely new to the sport.



My first impression when I rolled up to the race venue wasn't a great one. The venue seemed like a great place to hold a cross race, but after following a couple "Bike Race Today" signs set on the steets leading to the race, I came to a gravel parking lot with a sign that read "Bike Race Parking Here". Empty. Shortly thereafter, another parking area with maybe six vehicles. Hmmmmmm... Is this it?




Well, if this is it, that's ok. I didn't expect a huge crowd and even then, I simply came here to do a cross race and if I'm the only one out there, at least I'm racing! (Is it still a race if there's only one competitor?) As it turns out, I met a few other racers at the registration area so I knew I wouldn't be the only one. Some were riding road bikes with slick road tires. Some had mountain bikes. As I rolled up, someone noted that I was the second person to show up with a legitimate cross bike. I think there were about fifteen of us and a few of the guys appeared to be somewhat serious riders. I was glad everyone else decided to show up!

The Cube Cyclocross race #1 starting line




Cross Crusade race #1 starting line on Oct. 7th, 2007 at Alpenrose Dairy, Portland, OR

This was the largest turnout in history for any Cross Crusade race with 1,064 competitors

The course was held at a nature park a few blocks away from the downtown Rexburg area and was well-designed on a roughly one mile course, the first 2/3 of which were on paved pathways and the last 1/3 on thick soccerfield and park grass that was still partly covered in frost. When we started, the air temp was probably still in the 30's despite the bright sunshine and beautiful blue sky. We would be racing for a typical 50 minutes, plus one lap.

Experience in races like this counts for alot and since this was not only the first cross race for some of the racers, but their first race of any kind, I was concerned about having beginners out there alongside much more experienced riders. It's not so much fun for a new, lesser experienced participant to be thrown out there with people who have been doing this for years and years, but luckily, everyone seemed to be having a good time and smiles and good cheers were abundant. On the first lap, everyone was strung out in a widely spaced line with me leading the charge fully expecting the first five minutes to be absolutely furiously fast like all the cross races I've ever done. As each lap went on, I was able to gradually put time on the group behind me, but it looked like that group was battling it out pretty closely. At the end, I crossed the line in first place. There ended up being a heated three-way battle for second place that came down to the last lap which got everyone excited. The top four of us finished the same number of laps.

Everyone was very friendly and seemed to be having a great time out there. Even the small group of family and friends that came out to watch. They even brought two cowbells! Nothin like hearing the constant clanging of cowbells in the fall! That could only mean one thing: Cyclocross!At the end, we all recapped the race and shared our stories with each other. The awards ceremony was held and we were done. Pretty low-key. For this being the first ever cross race for race promoter Donn Hayes, the Events Coordinator for the City of Rexburg, he did an exceptional job with this event. He already puts on the Teton Dam Marathon, The Rush Triathlon, and now The Cube CycloCross. Looking forward to next Saturday! And maybe we'll have some mud! = )

Most unusual prize? How about a five lb bag of potatos. Only in Idaho! Along with a black, metal "cube" sculpture and a ballcap from event sponsor Edge Wireless. (I didn't mention I was a Verizon customer) Major Jake looks waaaaaaaay too clean!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Trev...Not only for first place, but sticking it out to race whether there were competitors or not-and the sack of potatoes...hmmm boy....it just don't get no betta! I must say though, a little disappointed in the clean bike; I've seen it much more dirty! Aohwwwwww Buuuudddy!