12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Time flies. And so does the snow. And this past month, so did Trevor. At least I felt like I had. Apparently, that's what repetitive 1,000 ft doses of powder snow does to me. I don't know, I guess I'm still getting used to it, but it's becoming more natural and I absolutely love getting up high on some new terrain in the winter. What began generally as an idea and a dream a couple months ago has quickly become a reality. And sometimes I still feel as though I'm living a surreal dream.

The weekend of the 4th/5th, I was able to get in a few runs at the Ghee with Ron after work on Saturday and then Sunday was spent skiing Oliver in the morning before attending an Arts Council meeting that afternoon. I had plans to visit Portland from Dec. 8th-14th, but heavy winter weather snuffed out those plans and I instead spent that weekend doing what else... spending alot of time on skis in the backcountry. Saturday, Dec. 11th, we took a couple laps again on Oliver. Quick and easy. Sunday, it was back into the park (GTNP) for a trip up Garnet Canyon. Rapidly warming temps put an abrupt end to that trip as we began to encounter widespread areas of unstable snow throughout the canyon at 8,500ft.

The next weekend, Jay and Lisa put on a 5k/10k run in Teton Springs on Saturday so off I went to run a 10k.


After the run, MikeE and I took a Glory lap off Teton Pass and came home feeling utterly spent. But, of course, then it was Sunday and that meant going to the park for Big Powder Park Sunday! We ended up getting three laps on Maverick and calling it another great day.

I took the end of this past week off so after doing some Christmas prep on Wednesday, I took off on skate skis in Teton Canyon for a quick dusk jaunt upcanyon and back. Thursday, taking advantage of a midweek day off, we headed back into the park for a trip up 25 Short. Yep, another three big laps of soft fluff. How could I ever go back to resort skiing after this? Friday, Christmas Eve, we made for the summit of Housetop Mountain, but after 4 hours of ascending, we called it off and turned back having another 1 1/2 hours to go before reaching the summit and a dinner party to be back for at 5:30. That peak has a deceptively long approach. Maybe some other day when we have more time.
Which brings me to today. Christmas. And another early trip up Oliver before anyone else had arrived and an absolutely beautiful Christmas morning to enjoy.

And if anyone is wondering where the photos are, well, some of them are still in my camera somewhere up on Maverick where my camera departed my possession and became one with the frozen Teton Mountains. And that explains why the photos from the later trips are missing as well. So until I get a new camera, this will have to do.

Merry Christmas to all of you.


Also, a friend of mine sent this video link to me. Another brilliantly done short film.


DARK SIDE OF THE LENS from Astray Films on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Katharine Larissa Ame Schneider said...

Awesome! :) Love reading about your adventures, Trevor! Someday I'd like to be skilled enough to ski in the backcountry. Need to practice on the resort slopes a bit more though I think. Planning a trip up to Big Bear again soon. After all the rains we've had here in LA - the snow should be pretty good up there. Check this video out too! http://vimeo.com/18150336