12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Thursday, February 10, 2011

After having not really been running much over the past couple months (other than sporadic, short, hour-long blips), I put together a few longish runs in a timespan that could actually be considered training in mid-January. I knew I always had my ol'reliable... Mud Lake. Except this time, I had a partner.



Athletes inspire other athletes and this is no exception. Maybe I don't do so much for him, but he certainly is inspiring to watch as he bounds tirelessly through deep snowfields hour after hour. I only wish I could move that fast.



On January 16th, it was back to Big Park Sunday and a return visit to Maverick. The morning began under partially clear skies, but quickly shifted back into the more typical storm conditions we had grown accustomed to so far this winter. As we were the first ones up the route, we had the privilege of breaking trail which made for slightly slower going, but also brought a more solitary experience to our efforts as well having nothing but untouched snowfields for 3,000ft above us as we ascended.
The solitude stopped when we were passed by a group of three following our track, then moving on ahead to break trail in front of us. Strangely, one member of the group chastised us for apparently being what they thought was too safe as we crossed an open, unprotected slope one at a time after they had gone across seperated by about two feet each. Well, to each their own I guess when it comes to safety, but I've never heard anyone scold another for being too safe in the backcountry. Especially when crossing open snowfields one at a time is pretty standard protocol.
The skiing was great. Three 1,200ft laps on Maverick later and we were feeling satisfied for the day. Again.

No comments: