12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Cube - Rexburg, ID Cyclocross Race #2

Round Two... One week later. Same time... Same place. Different course, however, and one that many agreed was better than the week before. It was roughly the same length, but each lap had two alternating pavement and grass sections and the grass sections each had two barriers. I thought this week's course had a better rhythm, more tight corners that required short bursts of acceleration, and I enjoyed having two grass sections per lap with the two sets of double barriers more spaced out.


The turnout was about the same as the week before although some of the riders from last week weren't racing and there were a few new faces in the crowd. I think all of new participants had never done a cyclocross race before but it looked as though they were at least somewhat avid cyclists. I was hoping for more seasoned competition, but even so, it was great to see them being introduced to the sport. I hope they had a good time out there.


As a side-note, this was the second week in a row that I had shifting troubles. Last week, after warming up for a half-hour prior to the start without any indication of a problem, suddenly, and very surprisingly, my rear shifter seemed to sieze and cease working from the moment I tired to shift into a bigger gear at the start. I rode the rest of the race being able to shift into smaller gears without a problem, but having to practically use two hands to upshift. Grrrrrrrrr! &%#@! So this past week, as I searched for the culprit of the problem, I found that the portion of my rear derailleur that brings the cable housing into the rear derailleur had broken. Ah-Ha! The cable was still attached of course, but it wasn't a secure connection. So I did what any "true" cyclocrosser would do... I cannibalized my mtn bike and took the XTR derailleur off it and put it on The Major. Hee hee! Problem solved, right? Nope. Again, before the start of the second week's race, I still was having shifting troubles and it clearly had nothing to do with the rear derailleur. Well, here's what I think: Both weekends have been cold. As in below freezing cold. Both week's courses were routed over sections of boggy, freshly mowed, watered, then frosted grass and I think my rear shift cable is getting frozen after making a few passes. What to do, what to do... I don't know, but I'll keep thinking about it and hopefully I can come up with a fix cause it's not getting any warmer, next week's course will most likely hold more of the same conditions, and not having gears when you really want gears is more than just kindof a bummer.




Another first place. Another black metal cube. Another bag o po-ta-tos. The Major looks even cleaner than last week!




After the race, I took the road bike out and rode up to Grand Targhee. Where's the snow?! Doesn't the season start in 2-3 weeks?!




Ski Hill Rd in the off-season makes for a great place to take any kind of wheels. Its mellow grade, gentle winding curves, and almost non-existent vehicular traffic (due to its out-and-back nature ending at a closed ski resort) makes it a great place to take a motorcycle, bicycle, longboard, or pair of roller-skis. Each of the two past Saturdays I have ridden up here, I have seen 10-20 other people up here all doing one of these activities.



The sunset took on bit of a sinister appearance on my way home.



Sunset over Red Mtn, one of the many 8,000ft+ peaks in the Big Hole Mtn range.





The stable. Everyone's been getting some action lately! I found it amusing to see all four bikes lined up just inside my front door. Isn't this what garages are for? Someday...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tre, good story. I still have not done a cross crusade this year. It has gotten so big and there are so many riders out there....it's kinda scary. And, Saturday is turning in to "long run day" and I need a recovery day after a 20 mile run. I like your BLOG....dude. Give the Bud dog a tummy rub. see ya.

D.A.D.