12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Cyclocross recap and then some...

Unfortunately, the cross season is now officially over here in these parts, but in many other areas, it will continue on for the next month and for those fortunate to be going on to the world championships, it may go on through January. Whew... That would be a looooong cross season!

For me, mentally, I am still very much into getting out there on the bike. And physically, I think my body has needed it. Troughout the past year of running running running and running more than I had in possibly my entire life combined up through last year, I reached a few noteworthy accomplishments:

1. I ran my first trail marathon (Grand Teton Marathon, 9/3/06)
2. I ran my first ultramarathon (Goblin Valley 50k, 10/28/06)
3. I ran my first "unofficial" 50 miler (a "fun run" across the Grand Canyon and back also known as the Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim, 11/25/06)
4. I traveled to Costa Rica to compete in a 135 mile six-day expedition run (The Coastal Challenge, 2/4-9, 07). *This also marked the first time I had ever been out of the country, other than Canada.
5. I ran my first "official" 50 miler (Devil's Backbone, 7/14/07)
6. I developed my first case of tendonitis in both knees immediately following that race
7. I suffered through the most painful last 25 miles of my second 50 miler still suffering from tendonitis in both knees (Grand Teton 50 miler, 9/1/07) *This also made me realize the amazing benefits of two Tylenol.
8. I realized how wonderful it is to have wheels on the downhills when I started riding my mtn bike in place of running. Ya know, cause I couldn't run at all without my kneecaps feeling like they wanted to explode out of my skin.
9. I realized my hamstrings had, in the past year, shriveled to the size of a julienne cut sun-dried tomato as a result of all the running. (runners are known for having weak hammies. Cyclists, on the other hand use their hammies as a major part of the pedalling motion and thus have well-developed hammies. Good eat'in!)
And 10. I guess now I'm so prepared for both activities that along with the cycling I've been doing so much of, I again have the opportunity to run the Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim again next weekend. I am really looking forward to this. Hopefully the tendonitis is gone and this time, I'll probably have an extra pound of hamstrings hanging off the back of my thighs to haul around. Cross-training can't hurt, right?

But getting back to this past week's recap... ; )

Here are a couple pictures taken by a photographer at the last cross race on 11/10/07.


The spur-of-the-moment, but obligatory podium photo (in no particular order)


After the race, I drove north to Ashton, ID to get some additional riding in due to the forecast of an oncoming storm that promised rain, sleet, snow, and other foul-nasty-vicious weather with big-sharp-pointy teeth. I'd never ridden the Mesa Falls scenic byway, so that seemed like a good option. I was still in my pretty cycling outfit so once I arrived at the Ashton High School, all I had to do was swap the knobby cross wheels with my road wheels and I was off. From here, the byway headed east, then north, then west for 26 miles until it meets up with Hwy 20 at Island Park, north of Ashton and south of West Yellowstone, MT. It truly is a scenic route and although I was tired from the morning's cross race, I made sure to take my time along the route and enjoy myself and the area I was riding through.



On this map, I began the ride at point #1 on the left hand side and followed the yellow brick road to the right side of the map ending at point #10




Lower Mesa Falls

Upper Mesa Falls (This photo was taken in August and is the only photo I have of the Upper Falls so I am including it here. I didn't make it to the Upper Falls on my ride because the only way to get to it is by walking down a 1/4 mile path with many sections of stairs. Not fun in bike shoes.)

These two photos show the interpretive sign at the north end of the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. It's fascinating to see the progression of how Yellowstone was formed. This region has an unfathomable amount of geologic history. And it's still continuing to grow!

No comments: