12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Friday, January 4, 2008

Storm? Nah - That's not a storm... This is a storm

Sunday, December 30th, 2007...
This is my second story front door at 6:30 am. I momentarily opened the door to a brutally fierce wind and sideways blowing snow and quickly shut it to grab my ski goggles and put them on before stepping outside to walk to the car.



My path through a four foot drift


The blowing snow lit up by a flash


The same shot sans flash. I was hoping to better capture the blowing snow which isn't really that noticeable here, but trust me, it was there


This was the only shot I took on the mountain all day. Yes, there is a snowboarder hidden amongst the billowing fluff. I wish I took more photos, but frankly, I was too busy skiing.

Friday, January 4th, 2008...

This morning, as I began my day of work, I was alerted by a co-worker of a particularly viscious storm that was preparing to hit the Sierra Nevada Mtns beginning today and lasting through the weekend. According to my co-worker, "The Tahoe area is gonna get like 5 or 10 feet of snow today!"

Well, hmmmmmm... I don't know about that... 5 or 10 feet?!?! Let's see about that. So I got on the NOAA website and clicked on a point between South Lake Tahoe and Mammoth Lakes, CA and here is the forecast from Friday morning:

Point Forecast: 10 Miles SSE Leavitt Meadows CA 38.2N -119.47W (Elev. 10926 ft)

Hazardous weather condition(s):
Blizzard WarningFlash Flood WarningFlood StatementFlood WarningSpecial Weather Statement

This Afternoon: Periods of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 25. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind around 85 mph, with gusts as high as 140 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 44 to 50 inches possible.

Tonight: Periods of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 13. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 80 to 85 mph decreasing to between 55 and 60 mph. Winds could gust as high as 140 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 33 to 39 inches possible.

Saturday: Occasional snow showers. High near 16. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind between 55 and 60 mph, with gusts as high as 95 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Now that's a storm!

No comments: