12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

If Turkeys Could Fly

Wait, that's chickens that can't fly. Turkeys can fly, can't they? I can't fly. And I'm a turkey. At least that's what people tell me.

"So, Trevor, what are your plans for Thanksgiving? Going to see your family?"

"No, actually, I'm headin down to the Grand Canyon for Thanksgiving weekend."

"Oh, really? Wow... Why the Grand Canyon?"

"Well, it's kinda become a Thanksgiving tradition of mine. I've gone down there the past two years on Thanksgiving weekend to run across it and back and it's just become tradition."

"You turkey."

So you see, if this turkey could fly, then maybe I wouldn't have to run the 24 miles across on trail and instead fly the direct 10 miles across to the North Rim and back. Flight would be a tremendous benefit to this bird. But then again... I'd miss out on everything to experience whilst on ground. The flora, the fauna, the smells of the mule train an hour after they passed down the trail. Nah, give me my two feet and I'll gladly run, hop, skip, and skitter my way along the trail for 13 hours.

And although I'll have different company this year, the tradition lives on.

Thanks, Meghan, for suggesting two years ago what I thought at the time was a ridiculously impossible idea.

"WHAT?! Are you nuts!? Run across the Grand Canyon?! AND BACK?! In one day?! Hah! Yeah right. There's no way I could do that. And besides... Why?"

Well, I guess those days are gone...

1 comment:

Trevor said...

T-
Wish I was there running with you....maybe in the Spring. Good luck and I look forward to reading a trip report upon your return. Read this for some inspiration...
http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/
T