12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Capitol Peak Mega Fat Ass 2009

This year's course was modified yet again due to the deep snows that have again fallen stoutly on the upper elevations in Capitol Forest. So three years I have run in this event and three years there have each been different courses and unique conditions. This year, the entire course was very runnable with mostly firm (muddy, but firm) trails and moderate grades on the climbs. Two, 15+ mile loops of undulating singletrack with one moderate climb just before the halfway point and a mile long stretch of moderate downhill dirt road about 3/4 around. And the conditions were as close to perfect as we could hope for given we were running in Capitol Forest in mid-January. We started in the fog at 8am with mild temps probably near 45 degrees and we finished in the sun 4hrs, 20mins and 50k later. What?!?! No rain?!?! Other than a 4 minute stop at the halfway point between loops to refill water, Trevor and I ran pretty much the entire way. Step for step, we cruised through the drippy forested areas separated by a half dozen or so clear cuts. (Or maybe it was just one gigantic clear cut that we clipped in and out along the edges as we made our way around the loop. I don't know. All clear cuts look the same.) It was as solid a race as I could have hoped for with the second lap just ten minutes slower than the first. Trevor was running strong. I felt good for pretty much the entire race except for the left side of my neck that I had pinched a nerve in or something a few days earlier while stretching my arms and back at work. Don't know what exactly I did to it, but it became increasingly uncomfortable as the run wore on and I couldn't hardly sleep for the next two nights without it causing me pain when I moved. It's just now getting to where I don't really notice it. Other than that, nothing was sore. No leg pain. Muscles, knees, feet... nothing. Perfect. Felt so good, I called up my buddy Joe and met him at Mt. Tabor on Sunday morning to do our traditional "Stair Loop" around the old dormant volcanic butte. Three easy laps around Mt. Tabor and we were basking in the good ol times when we used to run this loop every Tuesday or Wednesday after work. That was ten years ago.

Read Trev's account of the run here: http://mountains00.blogspot.com/2009/01/pr-at-capital-peak-mega-fat-ass.html

Results: http://www.capitolpeakultras.com/cpmfa30mileresults.htm

No comments: