12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March Update

My, my... Where does the time go? Just the other day it seems like I was in Moab, finishing up a tougher-than-I-thought 55k. I felt like I was running the streets of San Francisco with all the relentless ups and downs on slickrock. It was great to be out there and beautiful scenery in the wide-open desert, but I'll take an alpine forest singletrack over all that rock. Or a mountain bike. I finished with a pretty-well-hammered set of knees and a bit of frustration over how I finished the last 5 mile descent (in slow-motion), but I had been putting in some good solid weeks of training up til then and only gave myself a five or six day taper so, looking back, I probably should have gone a bit more on the rest to give my knees a break leading up to the race, but all things considered, it was a great early season event.

I decided to give myself a couple weeks off afterward and since that race, I have stayed true to my plan having only run twice in the two and a half weeks since then. And due to some early warming taking place in the region, I've also been able to get the road bike out a few times on the weekends and get some decent early riding in. Last Saturday, after work, I did a two hour ride from Ririe, ID to Kelly Canyon Ski Area and back (including two laps up the hill to the ski area) for a total around 35 miles. Then, on Sunday, I rode from Swan Valley, ID to Alpine, WY along Palisades Reservoir for three hours and a total of around 60 miles. That one incorporated a number of 200-300 ft hills along the way and by the time I was halfway back, I really began to feel the tiredness in my legs. It's been since last October that I've done back-to-back rides with any kind of intensity. Whew. Felt great to be out on wheels. Getting excited for next month's Pole Pedal Paddle in Jackson. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for this one. Stay tuned.

As for March, I plan on getting out on the Teton River this Saturday after work to get reaccustomed to wobbling in a kayak. Then, on Sunday, I plan on heading to Pocatello for my own private duathlon: A bike ride on the roads surrounding the city, then a run up City Creek, which should be mostly clear of snow on the lower parts and maybe up higher on the windswept ridges. I'd like to make it a longish day: at least three hours on the bike and four to five on the run.

Other than that, it's been pretty low-key. Me and the dog. Hanging out. Looking forward to warmer temps and dirt under our paws.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

T-Rex,
Glad to hear the knees are mending nicely. Have a great weekend on the bike and run. I'll be doing the same...although not back-to-back.
T