12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Table Mountain in June

Got my monthly Table Mountain ascent in for June last Friday. Things are finally beginning to open up in the high country. It'll still be a month or so before the majority of the high country trails are passable to foot travel (sans snowshoes), but nature's progress is being made.




The gate at the mouth of the canyon opens to car traffic on Mermorial Day weekend, but even with it open, I've grown to enjoy the extra 4 mile approach as well as the return trip so I plan on making that my standard Table Mtn Trailhead.


The snowpack on the west facing side of Table became solid around 9,500 ft and was riddled with suncups. Not very big or deep, but could become akward if they continue to grow. And there already were pronounced channels where melting snow had carved out a trough in it's quest for the easiest possible way downhill. These are one of the most fascinating features of snow to me.


Rocks poking through!



My most pleasant summit experience so far this year! I spent fifteen minutes on top.




The aspens up at 8,000 ft are just now starting to break out their summer attire.






You can't see the snowshoes strapped to the back of my pack, but in a full run, my elbows would smack into them and they became a little cumbersome. This Salomon pack (The '07 Raid Revo 20) does a nice job containing bounce with almost any load.



I always expect to see a moose here, but I think I've only ever seen one, maybe two. Total trip time was 4 hrs, 10 min (with 15 min on the summit).

No comments: