12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Friday, July 9, 2010

A few good days

There's always something to be grateful for. Sometimes, as we all go about our stuff, it can be easy to lose track of, but it's always there. For all of us. Something. I'm frequently aware that after thirty-two years, I've found myself on a rather unique and perhaps slightly surprising path. One that would have mainly been unthinkable to me (and probably others) ten years ago. And this isn't neccessarily a big deal as I know it happens to millions of people all the time, I'm sure. I'm sure many of us find ourselves in similar situations: Leaving a hometown for someplace new and exciting and unexplored... Landing a job because it was available (not neccessarily because it specifically was a goal) and having it become a career... Making friends along the way that influence your hobbies, passions, lifestyle, and, whether you know it or not, your entire future.

Ten years ago, I never thought I'd move to Jackson, WY, get a job at a bank, buy a condo, and embark on an ultrarunning pursuit that not only seems to get bigger and better over the months and years, but also becomes more and more ingrained in who I am and helps refine the way I think, act, and generally live. It has certainly helped change some of my perceptions of the world for the better.

I still seem to be in the minority when I look around and see many of my friends with families doing the happy family thing while I'm out bounding over mountains. A bit of a surprise, maybe, if you would have predicted this fact to me ten naive years ago when I still had what I thought was the traditional American life to look forward to, but I never had a real grasp on how to get there. At that time, I thought that's what I wanted; the good family life I see so many of my friends and family enjoying. Sometimes I think of how great it is for them and how it could be for me. But now I'm not so sure that's right for me. Maybe it's just not the right time. At least not right now. I see my close friends with their families. I see neighbors. I see co-workers. I see residents of the area in which I live. Right now, I realize that this life I am currently living is exactly the life I want to be living, should be living, and need to be living. Despite whatever notions I may have had in the past about whether I had the right job or whether I was living in the right place or doing the right things or whatever... I'm right where I should be. Forget tradition. Forget typical. Forget what's considered "normal" cause I've come to realize that I don't want it. It doesn't work for me. And maybe it doesn't work for many others too. Is our best option really to live the life that is fed to us through TV and hollow cultural traditions? Maybe that's what all this time spent in the mountains and running 100 miles has done; Help me realize that I determine what my world will be and help bring me back to a healthier, more natural state of existence and self-sufficiency. And I don't know if I'd want it any other way. Maybe things will change down the road here at some point, but for right now, I'm happy the way things are. No, it's not perfect. There are still things I'm looking forward to changing. But ultimately, given where I've ended up and the decisions that have brought me here, it seems to be working just fine.



I'm going to begin with last Saturday, July 3rd.

I had to work in the morning and then tore outta there just a tad early to zip up to Grand Targhee for the Wrun for Wray, a 2.7 mile hillclimb in memory of Wray Landon, a local Teton Valley resident who was killed in an avalanche this past February. Wray was an extaordinary athlete who loved the mountains and who was one of the more unique individuals who not only seemed to enjoy the time spent ascending them more than descending, but who could also carry his 6 ft 5 frame uphill faster than just about anyone else. Period. It was an honest honor to get whupped to the top of anything by Wray.

The Wrun was short in mileage, by comparison to just about anything else, but it was a good turnout and a good cause (the proceeds went to a land-trust foundation set up in Wrays name) and it felt good to be a part of it.

I reached the top (9,600ft) in 33 min, 9 sec. Right about the fastest time I ever clocked last year. After coming down and grabbing some food, drink, and going through the closing ceremony, I found myself doing a second lap up to the top with an olympic level rower from Seattle. Those rowers can run! 11 miles total.

Sunday, July 4th

Did a run up Pole Canyon and south to Thompson Peak (9,481ft) and back. Approx 25 miles.




Monday, July 5th

Ran up to Jackson Peak (10,741ft) and back with MikeE. 11 miles.









Tuesday, July 6th

I was working at one of our locations in Jackson for the day so I decided to get a run in on the Wyoming side for a change. After a quick thought, I decided to do a route I've been wanting to do for a while: Begin at Teton Village, run up the service road to the top of the Tram (10,450ft), over the west side of Rendezvous Mtn to the S Fork of Granite Canyon, north down the S Fork to the main fork, east down the main fork to the valley trail at the canyon mouth, then south along the Valley Trail back to Teton Village. It was my second day in a row over 10,000ft and I could feel the previous days in my legs, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and that's what training is all about right? 25 miles.









Wednesday, July 7th

Taylor Mtn (10,352ft) with MikeE. 9 miles. Third day in a row over 10,000ft!

Buddy found a girlfriend! Two furry faces, six legs, and one and a half tails.


And then two rest days with plans for the weekend!

No comments: