12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Monday, July 19, 2010

Tin Cup


It sure looked like another highly successful Tin Cup event this year as the Driggs city park was once again swarming with hundreds (dare I say thousands?) of community-minded townspeople. Runners, joggers, walkers, lookers, doers, young, old, and everything in between... Everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves and the festival atmosphere. Time will tell just how successful the event was as the totals are tallied and we find out just how many participants there were in the running and walking events and each of the participating non-profits find out how much donation funds were graciously passed their way.
The kids' hula-hoop competition
Dawn, assisting all the young artists create their masks at the Teton Arts Council booth
One of the highlights for the kids
Petting bunnies, goats, ponies, and pigs are always a highlight
And I had to go check out the karaoke booth. Here we have "Girls just wanna have fun!"
Anyone who stopped by the Teton Arts Council booth could design their own mask...
...any artistic way they wanted to.
I can't estimate anything as I am not involved in the organizing or operating of this event, but I will say that I love seeing so many members of our valley communities come together and create such a wonderful experience for so many people to enjoy. I wish our valley had more events like this during other parts of the year. Maybe a February winter festival should be in the works? Same place in the Driggs city park? Warm clothes? Warm drinks? Fun snow games? Ice skating? Oh! Or maybe it could be held at the new ice rink in Victor?! Yeah! Perfect. I dunno. We'll all have to think about that. I really think that these free events managed by so many willing volunteers can offer our community so many great things: Fun, awareness, healthy and vibrant social activities, and above all, a greater sense of community cohesiveness which I've come to believe is something far more important in small, rural communites such as ours. It feels good to be a part of it.

I ran the marathon again this year after running it for the inagural event in 2008, then sitting last year out due to my work schedule. Two years ago, I was shooting for a 3:15:00. I ran a 3:14:45. This year, I was shooting for a 3:10:00. I ran a 3:11:23. Close, not quite, but close, and I can think about a number of areas where I could have picked up a minute or two on this course: The slight side-ache between miles 4-8, the short, steep hills between miles 5-9, the pit-stop in the field grass at mile 15, the head-wind from mile 19-22, and I could have kicked it up a notch at mile 20 I think instead of waiting until mile 22, but, you know... looking back, I couldn't have taken much more than a minute or two off that time and I feel like I really ran a smart race (for not being much of a marathoner as this is only my fourth marathon). Many things during an event just can't be changed. It's just how things happen. If it's not one thing, it could be another. My split halfway was about 1:35:00 so I was pretty evenly split and I finished with four 6:30ish miles (on a slight downhill, but still!) so yeah, pretty happy with that. I think on a flatter, true road course (without being 2/3rds gravel/dirt), without five turn-around points on the out-and-back sections, and at lower elevations (Portland, perhaps?), and I could maybe maybe m-a-y-b-e be looking at going sub 3:00:00. But boy, putting together a string of 6:52 minute miles sure sounds daunting. More than daunting. But possible? Sure, why not?

Sunday, I ended up on the road bike riding up to Grand Targhee with MikeE. Legs definitely were heavy, but not sore. Felt surprisingly good to be out pedalling circles.

No comments: