12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Saturday, September 11, 2010

One Giant Brown Slurpee Please

Got my September ascent up Table Mtn in this afternoon. This is what the mountains looked like after this week's storms blew through.



I knew it'd be slower going (which is good since I've got a 100 miler coming up in a week) and most likely a slushy sloppy mess.



I was right. This was at 8,000ft.




9,000ft


10,000ft



11,000ft




I don't know that I've ever seen more people on the trail to Table as there was today. And they were almost all college-age looking kids, my guess from BYU-Idaho out in Rexburg. There had to be at least 50 people up there in various places on the trail, not all together, but in a number of groups of 2, 3, 5, 8, or whatever. It sure wasn't an easy day to go up there with all the snow, but everyone seemed to be in really great spirits so it made for a really fun afternoon. I hit the top in about 1:27, spent maybe 15 minutes up there, and then bolted off the top after being chilled to the core by a biting cold wind.



Looking south over Hurricane Pass and the now buried Teton Crest Trail. Will warmer weather over the next month melt this off? Probably not all of it, but maybe most of it will go away to allow for one last TCT crossing in October? Maybe I'm delusional?



And then this is how the next hour was spent. Sloshing through a giant ribbon of brown, Slurpee-like mud and snow. I haven't run in trail conditions like this since the Pocatello 50 back in May!



The wet, heavy, early-season snowfall did a number on the plant growth down lower.

No comments: