12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Monday, March 17, 2008

Early March Road Biking in the Tetons

Well, this year, winter has been sticking around so the riding really hasn't happened here yet. BUT... Thinking winter would be winding down and with a building interest in getting the cycling legs back, I began my early season training by driving to lower elevations on the weekends primarily in search of clear roads without snow and ice and if it were warmer too, then even better. I had already been out riding in the Idaho Falls area a couple of times in late February and was getting accustomed to the clothing layers necessary for winter conditions like this and I figured it would only be getting warmer. So off I went into 23 degree east Idaho on March 1st. Below are some of the photos I took that day.


Snake River, 10 miles east of Idaho Falls. I parked at a school in Rigby and rode up to Kelly Canyon Ski Area. Since it was 23 degrees and falling when I began the ride, I started out by wearing a short sleeve jersey, a long sleeve jersey, bib shorts with Pearl Izumi Stretch-Amphib tights over the top on my legs, a light soft-shell jacket, a light windbreaker over the top of that, balaclava, mid-weight ski gloves, and neoprene booties for my toesies. Add a helmet and persimmon shades and 23 degrees doesn't seem that bad! (For the record, it was 17 when I arrived back at the car and I was feeling a wee bit chilly)


Kelly Canyon

I have a thing for red barns like this. I just think they're cool. Especially in the winter. During sunset. I like how the red contrasts with the snow and I like the nostalgia of a classic red barn like this sitting out in an open field dotted with cottonwoods and aspens while the setting sun casts long shadows through them. Ok, I'll stop the sappiness now.

No comments: