12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Ice Biking


When it's late March...




...and the daytime high temperature doesn't get above freezing...




...and the first bike race of the season is coming up in two weeks...





...the going may be cold...




...but the cold go out and ride their bike for four hours.


The above photos were actually taken on my ride last weekend after I spent Sunday morning and early afternoon skiing at Grand Targhee, then drove down the hill to Teton Canyon for an 8 mile skate ski. I tried to incorporate all three disciplines to help prepare for the upcoming Pole Pedal Paddle in Jackson on April 5th and as you can see by the ice buildup in the photos, the conditions were considerably better suited for skiing-type activities, but nonetheless, there I was cycling up Ski Hill road in 27 degree temps and falling sleet. Mmmmmmmmm... I love it!



The best part about riding in these kinds of conditions?



Nature-made windproofing for my toesies! Yes, that's a solid layer of ice and yes, it really did keep my feet warmer.


The worst part of riding in these kinds of conditions?




A frozen rear brake at the top of a 12 mile, 2,000ft descent down Ski Hill Road today. My rear deraillieur also froze so I only had one gear on the way down. And because my thick ski gloves were too warm on the climb up (it was too cold to take them off completely), my hands sweat profusely in them and thus were soaking wet when I began the descent. And let me tell you, coasting down an icy road at 30mph through 15 degree air with frozen fingers and shivers so violent they were giving me a bad case of the high-speed-wobbles, is not as much fun as it may sound. Luckily, I'm a masochist, and I seem to derive a high amount of pleasure out of activities like this.

My outside thermometer read 5 degrees when I woke up this morning and it warmed up to a balmy 24 degrees. After spending the morning working at the office, I came home and wanted to get a ride in. Apparently, I was looking for a bit of inspiration so I got on the net and Youtubed "Lance Armstrong" (see post below). It obviously worked. I ended up with a comfortable 60 miles in 4 hours including the full climb up to Targhee while the steady and entertaining procession of skiers and snowboarders drove down the hill waving and honking.



Grand Targhee by bike

No comments: