12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Monday, March 17, 2008

March 8th & 9th - Daylight Savings Time Begins!

The following weekend, I began by working Saturday morning. Grrrrrrrr... And when I was released from my cage, I came home and packed for a multi-sport weekend in Jackson Hole.

That afternoon, I rode from Jackson to Slide Lake, located in the Gros Ventre Mtns on the east side of the Jackson Hole valley. I barely had enough time for the two hour ride and it was another cold one (25 degrees, maybe?), but it sure was a beautiful ride.



Really, who needs warm weather with a view like this?

Sleeping Indian


After staying over in Jackson Saturday night, I got up and hit the stale, freeze-dried, melt-freeze, balled-up, ice-chunked, hardened concrete slopes of JHMR. Yow-sa! Enough of that. I'm going skate skiing. I left the group I had been gravity skiing with and skidded back down to the parking lot to exchange downhill gear for nordic gear, then traipsed off to meet up with another buddy on the nordic track. After an hour or so of good skating, I packed up the skate gear and drove back down to the beginning of the Village Road where I could park my car and begin a bike ride. My goal: Ride the one mile west to Wilson, WY. Turn north onto Fish Creek Rd and take it as far as I can until either I reach the end or I'm turned back by snow and ice on the road. Then head back to Wilson, cross the hwy and take Fall Creek Rd south as far as I can until either I reach the end of the pavement or I'm turned back by snow and ice on the road. As it turned out, I didn't make it very far north on Fish Creek. Maybe 3-4 miles.

Fish Creek Rd. I could tell the snow and ice on the road had just melted enough in the past week to allow for a halfway decent route for skinny tires.

I made it all the way to the end of the pavement on Fall Creek Rd. Felt great and ended up with another good 2 hour ride and a great day of training to prepare for the Pole Pedal Paddle coming up in a month. AND... It was a great way to utilize the first daylight savings day of the year.

2 comments:

Backofpack said...

Stunning photos! Takes me right back to 1978-79 when we lived in Rifle, and our trip home to WA before our wedding.

You are getting some awesome training in! I bet you're ready for a little warmth though, even with those awesome views.

Trevor Garner said...

Yes, I am ready for some warmth. Even though I have thoroughly been enjoying our winter of all winters, I am ready for some warmth. In all the past seven winters I have lived here, we would've had at least a few 40 degree days so far and the snowpack on the valley floor would either be gone or almost gone. At this point, I think we've reached 40 degrees once and the snowpack is still continuing to be added to!