12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I had planned on running the Crest Trail again last weekend, but decided against it at the last minute (I had litetally made it one minute up the trail before turning around). I had a two hour run up at Targhee the day before which began fine out on the rolling Rick's Basin loop, but ended with a tougher than expected climb up to the summit of Fred's Mtn where I felt fatigued, pep-less, and just plain spent most of the way up. I was expecting to feel more life in my legs after a relatively light week of running, but maybe I was still recovering from a pretty heavy two days from the prior weekend. This was the feeling again on Sunday as I left the Phillips Pass TH and my mind raced ahead 9 hours to my projected finish at String Lake and I found it difficult to grasp. There would be no way I could finish it off in 9 hours feeling this whooped 1 minute into the run and I had no interest in being out there for over 10. My mental game can overcome the physical. But once the mental game goes, it's over man. Game over. So I drove to Teton Village and prepared to do a loop up to the top of the tram, down into Granite Canyon, and back to the Village on the Valley Trail. 20 miles beginning with a 4,000ft ascent in 7.5 miles. I ran this loop just after July 4th and arrived at the summit in 1:35. Oddly enough, I got to the top this time in exactly 1:35.




Looking west over the southern portions of Granite Canyon and further over the Crest Trail and past that over Victor, ID, Teton Valley, and the Big Hole Mtns way off in the distance.
The rest of the run went really well. Felt good. Warm sun. Finished in 4:00hrs.


Enjoyed listening to Lunker on the Commons area of Teton Village for about 30 minutes after the run.


Lunker. Great local band out of li'l 'ol Teton Valley, ID.

Monday was a whirlwind day at work. Went in early. Got home late. Completely whooped. Tuesday was an Arts Council meeting. Wednesday was my next opportunity for a run and, feeling like I needed some more elevation, I decided on a hopefully quick sprint to the top of Table and back.
In the past, this has been considered a big run. Something to prepare for. Something that would take time and planning. It has become pretty routine over the past few months, so much so, in fact, that I felt comfortable leaving the winter TH, 4 miles from the base of the climb, at 6:30pm without a light, fully knowing that I could be off the trail and on the road back to the car by the time it got dark dark at 9:00. This would require a typical 30 min approach on the road, a 1:15 ascent, and a 45 min descent. It'd be tight, but I thought I could do it. I was also testing out my new Nathan waist bottle carrier to see how I could handle 9 hrs of food + windshirt + camera and phone with it. With one bottle on my waist and one in my hand, I felt faster, and, in fact, I was. I finished off the road appraoch in 28 min, 2 faster than usual. Once on the climb, I was 1:30 under my PR for the first 1,000ft arriving at the first plateau in 15 mins. 2:30 under my PR at the metal post where the North Teton Canyon Trail splits from the direct route arriving at 47:30. And popped up on the summit at 1:10:45, 3:45 under my previous PR from 2 weeks ago. I now know that a 1:10:00 is possible and without nine hours worth of food on me, I'm sure I could go back and knock off 45 seconds. What's funny now is how this ascent had transitioned from a power hike to a run. Whereas last year and the year before, I thought most sections on the way up were too steep and rocky to run, I now find myself picking my feet through the rocks and pittering my way upward in tiny running steps. But it's running! Not much faster than walking, but it is faster! And there are now only a handful of sections where the running isn't happening.



Last one on the summit for the day. Again.




The new Nathan waist pack carries a bottle and minimal other items nicely. I was back to the base of the climb in 50 minutes. Right at dark. Back to the car in another 30. 4 hrs total. Perfect. Felt great.





And then I came home to this. The cat-faced spiders are back for the summer and this one has taken up residence directly under my porch light which essentially becomes a sort of spider exhibit for me to study. Those who know me well enough may already be aware of my strong dislike of these creatures. I have to admit, they freak me out, give me the eebie-jeebies, creepy-crawlies, and whatever other kind of arachniphobia induced spasms exist. But I still find these guys fascinating. I can't help it. Their webs are engineering marvels with guy-lines and support mechanisms built in place and bends and angles that defy any simple design. They know what they're doing and they're brilliant at it. And despite they're thick, prickly, menacing appearance, they certainly do their part to help out by catching alot of bugs!





This one was either extremely hungry, showing off a bit, or maybe just a little surprised, catching, then wrapping up a moth that was bigger than it was. I stood there watching it do its thing for about 15 minutes as it pulled its webbing out of its... you know... backside, and using its two back legs to do the wrapping. Fascinating.
Did a short and easy jaunt up to Mud Lake after work today so stretch the legs. Didn't feel too bad, actually. After work on Saturday, I'll get up on top of something over 10,000ft, still not sure what yet, and then go after another Crest Trail run on Sunday. Summer weather is still holding on so I gotta make the most of it now before things change. And they'll be changing soon!

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Some days you feel it, other days you don't. Glad you were able to get a PR on your second option. You are definitely running strong!

Trevor Garner said...

So true, so true. Some days I feel like a nut. But that's what we ultrarunners are, right? Or... Are we the ones who really have it all figured out and everyone else is the nut?