12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Teton Crest Trail: 8hrs, 10min


Phillips Pass: 6:45am


Fox Creek Pass: 9:15am


Hurricane Pass: 11:00am


Paintbrush Divide: 1:15pm



Well, there it is. The idea of being able to run the length of the TCT in 8 hours is finally turing into reality. When this idea was born, 4 years ago, and before I had even run the length of the trail, I really had a comfortable feeling that it could be done smoothly in that time without requiring a huge effort. My view changed fairly quickly after that first crossing and has remained that way pretty much ever since.

The trail is commonly listed at 39 miles. (I still believe it is longer than that, but can't prove anything until I get a GPS.) 39 miles in 8 hours requires a 12:20 pace. Not that fast really. And for a while (four years), I couldn't understand why I was so outrageously slower than that. Until I realized a few things this summer:

Like just how rugged this trail is. Not sure what the total elevation gain is, but it's alot. And although there are some smooth stretches, yes, the rest is a chaotic obstacle course that, to run it at speed, requires more than just a few special dance moves.

The only water available is that which flows off the mountains, and while availability is generally good (except for late late summer), timing plays a very important role knowing where the water sources are and how much water to carry between them based on how much time it will take to get from one to the next. This is a trail that runs best after some recon work.

The majority of the trail lies above 9,000ft with the two highest points above 10,000ft coming in the second half. Even living every day at 6,000ft doesn't offer enough prep to be able to run uphill at that elevation after 30 miles. The only way to prepare is to spend lots of time up there.

Take only what is neccessary. Take food, a windshell, two water bottles, a phone, and a camera. Lose the rest. If a huge storm comes up, then bail out down one of the canyons. If there's a bear, outrun it, or at least the others nearby. Injury? Suck it up and deal with it. Some other catastrophy? Be safe, smart, and creative.

And finally, just how many photos I was taking! Each shot takes time, if even just a little, and take twenty or thirty of them and include a few sight-seeing excursions along the way and there's 15-30 minutes. The first time I ran the trail this summer, I took ALOT of photos. The second time, not so many. And this time? 4.

I'd like to go back and push the time under 8:00, but with August coming to a close soon and a busy September ahead, I'm not planning on it this year.

Splits:
Phillips Pass to top of first big climb: 1:00hr
Marion Lake: 2:15
Top of Sheep Steps above Alaska Basin: 3:30
Hurricane Pass: 4:30
North/South Cascade Canyon Jct: 5:22
Lake Solitude: 6:00
Paintbrush Divide: 6:45
North String Lake TH: 8:10

3 comments:

Trevor said...

Fantastic. I'm seeing podium finish at P2P!

Anonymous said...

I came across this in a google search. I just thought I'd let you know that I did the Philips-Paintbrush as a day hike last summer (I'm not a trail runner). I GPSed it at 40.3 miles to the String Lake trail head.

Anonymous said...

Also, I was day hiking southward with a friend up on Philips Pass around 7:30am on August 22nd. I saw a trail runner that looked just like your profile pic. I think I saw you. That's weird.