12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Big Horn 100 - Dayton, WY, June 20th,

I did it.

My first 100 miler.

Thank you sir! May I have another?!

I almost nailed it. Almost. If only I could have done a few things differently. But these were things I had to figure out on my own by pushing past my previous limits. I know what to do differently next time. And there will be a next time, I'm already planning it.

I was nearly certain I could finish under 30 hours. I calculated out an average pace of 3.5 mph and figured I "should" be abe to maintain that which would bring me in around 28.5 hours. Best case scenario? A 4.5 mph average pace which would bring me in around 22.5 hours. Woah. Better not be on pace for anything under that!

I finished in 28:38:11. Best part of my body at the finish? My brain. Glad to be done. Worst part of my body at the finish? My big toenails.

***Make a note of this all you virgin 100 milers***

If you're gearing up for a 100 miler, bring a pair of shoes at least a half size bigger than what your normal trail shoes are for the second 50 miles. I'd never experienced swollen feet before, but after this experience, I'll be wearing a size 10.5 or even an 11 for the second 50. Your toes will thank you!

Best part about the race? Let's see...

1. MY CREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have finished without them. Honestly. Melissa, Erika, and Jen. Thank You! You kept the race car going! Melissa, you were the aid-station nazi. "Drink! Eat! Tie your shoes! Now go! Now!" Erika, your blister maintenance was awesome, however gross it may have been, you didn't cringe at all. And I especially enjoyed the last 18 miles with my "impromptu" pacer, Jen in her knee-length skirt! You made the finish possible.
2. Chasing Ehredt around the Big Horn Mountans for 64 miles. I don't think I've ever had so much fun in a race. Nice work on putting down 100 miles in 22.5 hours dude! I wish I could've stayed up there with you.
3. The scenery. Wow, those Big Horn Mountains are B-E-A-UTIFUL! Especially late on Friday evening around mile 40 when it began raining and the raindrops were lit up by the setting sun filtering in through the trees.
4. The race organizers. For being forced into an alternate course in the last week due to heavy snowpack that remained on the upper section of the course. I heard a number of runners who had done the "normal" course before and they said they liked this year's alternate course better.
5. The volunteers manning those remote aid stations up in the mountains in the middle of the night. Y'all were awesome. Thanks for being up there. It sure was great to see you.
6. Getting caught, passed, and left in the dust by a super-power-walking Olga at mile 84. I've never seen anyone power-walk like that. Olga! You're a power-walking superhero! And the fact that you wear a skirt makes it even better.
7. My nutrition. I practically nailed it. There's a few places where I think I should've taken in a bit more, but for the most part, I followed my plan and it worked.
8. The fact that I have no sore muscles. How this is possible, I have no idea. Did I go through a complete recovery on my 18 mile "hike" into the finish from the last aid station? I dunno...
9. My knees survived!!! Without hardly any problems. How? Could be a combination of alot of things, but everything seemed to come together just fine. I am 100% knee-pain free.
10. The fact that I'm already thinking about my next 100 miler. And it'll probably be later this year. Ready? = )

2 comments:

Backofpack said...

wow-WoW-WOW! Awesome and unbelievable. I can't believe you aren't sore...though Eric wasn't sore after his either, so I guess I can believe it. It's great you had so much fun and are already contemplating the next one. Ah, youth! Way to go!

Journey to a Centum said...

Trevor! I think you pound the soreness out. Kind of like pounding on a sword during the forging process to remove the impurities.

Congratulations!

Trail Scat