12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Alabama and Tennessee

After a week in Oregon, I flew to Birmingham, AL on a work assignment. For whatever reason, I do not have a single picture of Birmingham. I attribute this mostly due to the fact that I was under a pretty heavy amount of stress, every day seemed to be a whirlwind, and taking pictures just never crossed my mind when all I desired was my sanity. Thursday morning after I flew in, I had some time to kill so I drove south of town to Oak Mountain State Park and suffered through a painful, slow, hot 'n humid run along one of the park's many trails. I could only muster 45 minutes. Four days after the 100 miler and I was not ready to run yet.

That weekend, however, things got better and I had a chance to head up north to Nashville, TN for an afternoon on Sunday (my only free day) and yes, I finally got the camera in action.
















What's going on here, you might ask? Only 1,000 yoga-ers ready to get their yoga on in downtown Nashville.

















When would there ever to be a better time to try yoga for the first time?

















Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................................




























Later that afternoon, I found an REI (My people!) just down the road and got a sweet tip about a nature park nearby that had trails. Percy Warner Nature Park holds over 2,600 acres of preserved woodlands with a variety of roads and trails that crisscross the park. I found the 4.5 mile rolling loop trail that follows the park's perimeter and ran it once counter-clockwise, then turned around and ran it clockwise. Including the 1 mile approach from where I parked, I managed an 11 mile run the week after a 100 miler and by then, I could just barely feel the twinge in my left foot. I got to chat along the way with a few different local runners which was cool. Nice people out there.

























And I almost stepped on this owl who was sitting in the middle of the trail! I just about gave me a heart attack when it burst off the ground five feet in front of me and swooped up onto a tree branch. Who does it think it is? Who would pull such a stunt like that? Whoooooooo?























And then, after finishing the run at dusk, I drove back into town, changed into something a little fresher, and set off to enjoy what the nightlife in Nashville had to offer. This city has one of the best downtown scenes. I loved every minute of it and after enjoying a couple of hours in BB King's blues club listening to one of the best blues bands I've ever heard and enjoying a tradional southern fried catfish dinner, I certainly didn't want to leave and was not looking forward to the 2 1/2 hour drive back down to Birmingham. But alas... My short time there was worth it. I only spent an afternoon in Nashville, but I loved every minute of it and would love to go back.

No comments: