12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours

12 Glory Laps in 12 Hours
Last February 20th, I hiked and skied 12 laps on Mt. Glory. 19,638 feet climbed with skis on my back and 19,638 feet skied to raise money for Camp To Belong. It's snowing again and I'm ready for the 2nd edition! Click the logo for more info and ways to support camp!

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse

Camp To Belong - Elk Mountain Grand Traverse
We're racing the Elk Mtn Grand Traverse this March, a 40 mile ski race across the roof of Colorado in the middle of the night! Click for updates on our training and fundraising progress!

Peaked Sports

Peaked Sports
Driggs, ID

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pine to Palm Photos

Ok, I know, this is two months late. Sorry. But just in case you were wondering what things in Oregon looked like when I was there running the Pine to Palm 100 way back in September, here's a few looks:





















I stopped at Multnomah Falls on my way through the Gorge on may way to Portland and ran a popular loop up to the top of the falls, over to Wahkeena Creek and back down to the bottom of Multnomah. It was warm and very humid.














Wahkeena Creek





The start of the Pine to Palm 100. Williams, OR. Saturday, September 18th. 6:00am. 60 degrees, cloudy, and humid.
Getting weighed at mile 25. 70 degrees with a light rain.


Trevor H and I coming into the aid station at mile 40. The temp had dropped slightly and it was still raining. From here, at one of the course's low points, we had a long gradual climb that took us up roughly 4,000ft over 20+ miles to the course's high point which we reached together around 8:00pm, just as it got dark, and in the midst of a raging cold windstorm. Other than light windbreakers and an impromptu garbage bag apeice, this is about what we had with us when we arrived there. After gathering some warm food, warmer clothing, and our night gear, we set off into the dark.
I had a great stretch of running from this point (mile 65) all the way down to the next big aid station at mile 78. Felt surprisingly good other than a slight twinge on the outside of the bottom of my left foot. At that point, after descending back down to another one of the course's low points, we had another 4,000ft+ climb up to the next (and last) high point at mile 90. I fast-walked almost all of the climb, caught up to a few guys, and managed as far as fourth place at about mile 88 which I maintained (in the windiest, darkest, rain-pelting storm) up and over the final climb, but then lost on the long drag to the finish getting passed by one, two, then three other runners who were hot on my heals. I was limping, hobbling, and walking much of this stretch as the bottom outside of my left foot was hurting pretty badly. I finished in Ashland under cloudy skies just before 5:00am on Sunday.

My aching swollen left foot on Monday following the race

No comments: